By Jonathan Roper (eds.)
Read or Download Charms, Charmers and Charming: International Research on Verbal Magic PDF
Best comparative religion books
Christianity is a concise and readable survey of the heritage of Christianity, from its beginnings in past due antiquity, during the Reformations within the West, to its present-day globalization. Focusing relatively at the sleek interval, it offers a precious advent to modern christian ideals and practices, and appears on the ways that this various faith has tailored, and keeps to evolve, to the demanding situations of the trendy international.
Wisdom of the historical past of faith below the T`ang Dynasty (A. D. 618-907) has in the past been constrained at most sensible. This scholarly paintings fills vital gaps quite often wisdom of Taoism ("China's personal larger religion"), and its roles in China's social and political existence through the T'ang Dynasty interval, the golden age of chinese language heritage.
"In this paintings, Bron Taylor examines the evolution of "green religions" in North the US and past: non secular practices that carry nature as sacred and feature in lots of situations changed conventional religions. Tracing a variety of teams - radical environmental activists, lifestyle-focused bioregionalists, surfers, new-agers desirous about "ecopsychology," and teams that carry medical narratives as sacred - Taylor addresses a significant theoretical query: How can environmentally orientated, spiritually inspired contributors and pursuits be understood as spiritual while a lot of them reject non secular and supernatural worldviews?
This e-book discusses the improvement of practices linked to customs and artifacts utilized in Jewish ceremonies while seen from the vantage of anthropological stories. it might additionally functionality as a advisor to functional halakhah. the writer examines subject matters comparable to Torah Scrolls, ceremonial use of fireside, Purim customs, the pageant of Shavuot, magic and superstition.
- Adapa and the South Wind: Language Has the Power of Life and Death
- The Psychology of Religion. An Empirical Study of the Growth of Religious Consciousness
- Islam from a Contemporary Perspective
- ESHU-ELLEGUA ELEGBARRA; Santeria and the Orisha of the Crossroads by Raul Canizares
- Fragile identities : towards a theology of interreligious hospitality
Additional info for Charms, Charmers and Charming: International Research on Verbal Magic
290. 12. Opie and Tatem, p. 323. 13. Quoted in Newell, 29–30. 14. Newell, 23. 15. Opie and Tatem, p. 324. 16. Cited by Newell, 26. 17. Newell, 26–7; Simpson and Roud, p. 290. 18. Sisam (1955), p. 258. 19. van Haver, Jozef, Nederlandse Incantatieliteratuur: Een Gecommentarieerd Compendium van Nederlandse Bezweringsformules (Ghent: Secretariaat van de Koninklijke Vlaamse Academie Voor Taal- en Letterkunde, 1964). 20. Margaret Baker, Folklore and Customs of Rural England, (Newton Abbot: David and Charles, 1974), pp.
Die Volkssagen der Altmark, mit einem Anhange von Sagen aus den übrigen Marken und aus dem Magdeburgischen (Berlin: Nicolaischen, 1839), No. 31, p. 114. 24. Umlauft, Friedrich, Sagen und Geschichten aus Alt-Wien, (Stuttgart: Loewes Verlag Ferdinand Carl, 1944), pp. 97–100. 25. Lawrence, Robert Means, The Magic of the Horse-Shoe with Other Folk-Lore Notes (Boston: Houghton, Mifflin, 1898), ch. 4 ‘Charms Against Animals’. 26. , and W. Schwartz, Norddeutsche Sagen, Marchen und Gebrauche aus Meklenburg, Pommern, der Mark, Sachsen, Thuringen, Braunschweig, Hannover, Oldenburg und Westfalen, aus dem Munde des Volkes Gesammelt (Leipzig: F.
20 He also said of such persons: ‘A magic worker (welho) who travelled about with a magic pouch was terribly dangerous and terrible to look upon as well. ’21 Another narrator from South Savo recalled an elderly beggar who visited his childhood home at the end of the 1870s: ‘she had been married to four men and then remained a widow and roamed about, begging and telling the most frightening tales of her magical abilities, so that farm mistresses, in their fear, put all kinds of things in her begging-sack .
Charms, Charmers and Charming: International Research on Verbal Magic by Jonathan Roper (eds.)