This concise significant other explores the heritage of psychoanalytic idea and its impression on modern literary feedback via tracing its flow throughout disciplinary and cultural boundaries.
• includes unique essays by way of top students, utilizing a variety of cultural and ancient approaches
• Discusses key suggestions in psychoanalysis, akin to the position of dreaming, psychosexuality, the subconscious, and the determine of the double, whereas contemplating questions of gender, race, asylum and foreign legislations, queer conception, time, and memory
• Spans the fields of psychoanalysis, literature, cultural conception, feminist and gender experiences, translation reports, and film.
• offers a well timed and pertinent evaluation of present psychoanalytic tools whereas additionally sketching out destiny instructions for concept and interpretation
Read or Download A Concise Companion to Psychoanalysis, Literature, and Culture PDF
Similar psychoanalysis books
In what is still considered one of his such a lot seminal papers, Freud considers the incompatibility of civilisation and person happiness, and the tensions among the claims of society and the person. we know that dwelling in civilised teams ability sacrificing a level of non-public curiosity, yet couldn't you argue that it in truth creates the stipulations for our happiness?
Initially released in paper shape, through Houghton Mifflin, 1983 (ISBN: 03953397)
From the recent York instances bestselling writer of attempting to find Mr. Goodbar— the tale of 2 ladies, a psychoanalyst and her sufferer who aid one another via very various classes of their lives.
When sunrise Henley, the attractive, gifted Barnard collage freshman steps into psychoanalyst Dr. Lulu Shinefeld’s workplace, she’s instantly intrigued. What may have pushed this lady to such severe degrees of melancholy? Over the process 5 years, Dawn’s weird and wonderful and tortured formative years is drawn out, and either ladies are necessarily replaced.
Bion's battle Memoirs may be the main extraordinary piece of autobiography but written via a psychoanalyst. the 1st part of the ebook is documentary, along with the full textual content of the diaries which Bion wrote as a tender guy to checklist his stories at the Western entrance in 1917-1919, and this quantity additionally comprises the pictures and diagrams with which he illustrated his memories.
This publication makes an unique contribution to the learn of the psychoanalytic approach from a relational perspective, and while serves as a textbook at the thought of procedure. It presents a normal exposition of the speculation of psychoanalytic perform from a method standpoint that emphasizes the analytic courting, the dyadic nature of the psychoanalytic scenario, and the impression of subconscious interplay among its events, and in addition comprises the authors own standpoint and contributions at the topic.
- Bearing Witness: Psychoanalytic Work with People Traumatized by Torture and State Violence
- History and Psyche: Culture, Psychoanalysis, and the Past (Palgrave Studies in Cultural and Intellectual History)
- New Directions in Psycho-Analysis: The Significance of Infant Conflict in the Pattern of Adult Behavior
- Écrits: A Selection (Routledge Classics)
- Alternative Psychotherapies: Evaluating Unconventional Mental Health Treatments
Extra info for A Concise Companion to Psychoanalysis, Literature, and Culture
London: Sage. Gellner, Ernest. 1992. ” In Psychotherapy and Its Discontents, ed. Windy Dryden and Colin Feltham, 41–51. Milton Keynes: Open University Press Goldner, Virginia. 2003. ” Studies in Gender and Sexuality, 4: 113–39. Grünbaum, Adolf. 1984. The Foundations of Psychoanalysis: A Philosophical Critique. Berkeley: University of California Press. 32 The Freudian Century Harris, Adrienne, and Steven Botticelli, eds. 2010. First Do No Harm: The Paradoxical Encounters of Psychoanalysis, Warmaking, and Resistance.
A leading German exponent of the genre in the nineteenth century, Theodor Storm, described his attachment to a method of “symptomatic treatment” rather than an explicit unfolding of psychological motivation (quoted in Webber 1996, 242), and this tendency to encode psychological insight in symbolically allusive forms is characteristic of much writing in this genre. The term symptomatic here suggests that the novella writer also sees the proximity of the genre to the medical, and perhaps in particular the psychiatric case.
This is not, however, the creative use of psychoanalysis that one might hope for; it is rather a way of closing down debate, as well as being an enactment of the conformist elements in psychoanalysis that have at various times dominated its forays into social commentary – not just in the much-maligned case of ego psychology, but also in religious spheres and in some egregious examples of compromise with oppressive state structures (Frosh 2005; Harris and Botticelli 2010). With the gradual emergence of feminist, poststructuralist, and postcolonial perspectives challenging the certainty of knowledge, psychoanalysis has something else to offer: a disruptive awareness of how pasts are constantly reinvented in the present, and an interrogatory attitude towards its own implication in the material it interprets.
A Concise Companion to Psychoanalysis, Literature, and Culture